WHO WE ARE
The Ocala Royal Dames for Cancer Research, Inc. is a 501(c)3 charitable organization. The main purpose is to support educational programs and activities that promote, enhance and further cancer research and education on a local and regional level. Founded in 1986 by Theresa Castro, the Ocala Royal Dames has donated over $2 million to date.
The Ocala Royal Dames is made up of over 240 vital, creative women. The organization is entirely voluntary, and no monies are utilized for staff or office space. Our members are dedicated to making a difference in our community and in fighting this dreaded disease. We will not rest until cancer has been vanquished. As a living endowment to cancer research and education, members of the Royal Dames pledge $2,500 for life membership, payable over a period of 10 years.
If you would like information on becoming a member, please contact us by email; let us know by phone (352-622-7363); or by letter to Ocala Royal Dames for Cancer Research Membership, PO Box 6163, Ocala, FL 34478.
WHAT WE DO
Since its inception, the Ocala Royal Dames have contributed to such institutions & programs as:
• Cancer research at UF Shands Cancer Center, Gainesville, Florida.
• Cancer research at Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa, Florida.
• Oral cancer prevention programs via the Andrew J. Semesco Foundation.
• Breast and Prostate Cancer prevention programs (Shop Talk) administered by College of Central Florida (CF).
• ORD Endowment for Library Resources for cancer treatment, causes and prevention at CF.
• ORD Scholarship Endowment for science & nursing students at CF.
• Pediatric Oncology Endowment at UF Shands Cancer Center.
• ORD Endowment for Cancer Research & Education, providing for an Annual Visiting Professor Lecture at UF Shands Cancer Center.
Cancer researchers from the UF Health Cancer Center are among six grant recipients to be honored at the Ocala Royal Dames for Cancer Research event held event on May 20 at the College of Central Florida. Grant winners will each receive $50,000 to fund their studies.
Recipients for research are: Dr. Patricia Judson, H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa; Dr. Julie Bradley, Dr. Ying Li, and Dr. Jeffery Harrison, University of Florida Cancer Center.
Recipients for education are: Tracy Mason, and LerVerne Jacobs, College of Central Florida in Ocala.
The Ocala Royal Dames for Cancer Research Inc. is a 200-plus member organization that strives to eradicate cancer by supporting research, raising community awareness and commissioning annual tours of UF Health Cancer Center and Moffitt Cancer Center.
• Continue to fund research until cancer is vanquished.
• Encourage & assist students on every level to gain understanding of cancer and to work toward its elimination.
• Educate the public in prevention & early diagnosis.
HOW WE DO IT
Each member commits to an endowment of $2,500 and annual fundraising activities including the Tiara Ball. These carefully selected philanthropists reflect a broad spectrum of talents and leadership. Essentially, they are creative, farsighted, oriented to betterment of the community and dedicated to the organization’s mission. If you’d like to be considered for membership, please complete our contact form and someone from our membership committee will return your inquiry.
Each member pledges $250 per year over a ten-year period. These pledges make up a large portion of our income. In addition, we have fundraisers at which community participation is warmly welcomed – and very much needed. Examples are:
• The Annual Tiara Ball, held in February — this is our signature event.
• Theme Parties — fabulous fun throughout the year.
• Fall Fundraiser — Fashion Show, Tailgating Gala and more!
• Cookbooks from The Dames — A delicious year-round fundraiser.
Additional tax-deductible donation opportunities for members and non-members alike include sponsorships of these efforts, personal gifts in honor of a friend or in memory of someone, planned estate gifts, in-kind donations of various kinds.
For more information write to Ocala Royal Dames, PO Box 6163, Ocala, FL 34478; call us at 352-622-7363; or be placed on our email mailing list for frequent updates on activities.